Saturday, April 20, 2013

Television or Why I Don't Watch Much

We have a number of televisions in our home. Him watches a few times a week. He watches the news some, mostly to get financial information, and to make sure there isn't eminent danger from a zombie attack, vampires taking over the world or any mosquitos damaged in a nuclear accident swarming our way. Other than that he learns on the Syfy channel how to defend against those events and more. He insists the programs are instructional and crucial to our survival.

I on the other hand prefer cheesy detective programs, occasionally NCIS, which are not so cheesy detective shows. I like The Voice, a lot. I manage to catch to maybe three shows a season. I like Project Runway. Again a show or two each season. If I turn the television on I usually watch The Mentalist, Castle or Bones all day. If I watch at night, I'm going to be up late because I will get involved in a movie. I can't walk away from a movie, no matter how dumb it is or if I have already seen it. Unless I'm spinning or knitting I don't turn it on.

Television is mindless entertainment. Sometimes we need that. Something that does not require us to think. Something that takes us to another place that is far away from the problems in our life. I would rather read a book.

Television is so mesmerizing that your metabolism drops to a level 14% lower than when you're asleep. It's no wonder people who watch hours every day are called couch potatoes. Our bodies slow to that of a potato. We almost go to a full stop. It's also why I can eat a whole bag of kettle chips. I'm hypnotized and don't know what's going on.

I recently had a procedure that required me to be on a clear liquid diet for 24 hours followed by twelve hours of fasting. I made the mistake of watching television to entertain my brain and take my mind off the 437th cup of broth I was having that day. I never realized how many commercials there are that deal with food or products used to prepare food. They are of course designed to make you go to the kitchen during a commercial and get a bag of kettle chips.

I decided a long time ago that televising stunts my creative process. Not to mention stunting my ability to get motivated to clean my house. We didn't have a television for many years when curly was growing up just so she wouldn't watch every spare moment.

It's better for me not to turn it on. I can't abide the constant noise. My dad has the television on 24 hours a day. He sleeps with it on. He used to sleep with the radio was on back in the day when television were a piece of furniture nearly as big as the sofa. When I visit here it Is deafening even though he keeps the volume fairly low. He just needs the background noise, he's not even paying attention to it while he works crossword puzzles or is napping. I cannot concentrate with all the noise.

There are good things on the television. Toddler tv is amazing and very educational. Dimples has learned much from watching Kipper, Super Why and Sid the Science Kid. And I know that Him will be able to protect us when the zombies make their move.

What do you watch to educate you brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment