Wednesday, April 3, 2013

"C"ourtesy

Courtesy... something that seems mostly lost in our society. People step in front of you to get through the door first, cut in front of you on the road, steal the parking place you were waiting for. Some don't speak to people they don't know and are not ashamed when they treat someone badly. It's a if they are the only person in the world that matters and should have their way in all things and places. I'm talking in generalities, of course. Which I probably shouldn't do.

I don't know why it is so hard for some people to hold a door open or help some elderly woman into the store, or carry his bags out of the store. Why can't we be more willing to speak to an elderly person that may be living alone and would like just a little kindness and conversation in the check out line and on the way to their car?

It takes but a moment to be kind to someone. To let them know that you actually see them. Acknowledge them. Comment on the great shoes, or shirt, or hair...even if that hair is green. That is pretty awesome that someone can express themselves that way. It doesn't mean they are a freaky serial killer.

In the children's organization at my church, we have a penny jar. The kids are supposed to do something kind and unexpected for someone during the week. The following Sunday they have to opportunity to share what they did, and put a penny in the jar for each act of kindness. They love it. They try to find things to do for someone else. All the pennies will be donated to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City during the pennies by the inch campaign. So not only are they looking for ways to be courteous, they are learning to be courteous, they are learning to be generous, to help others that are in need.

I loath shopping. It does not matter if it is for clothes, shoes or groceries. I.Do.Not.Like.It. It could have something to do with the fact that I would rather not leave my house, but thats another post entirely. I have found when I have to go shopping and I take the time to do some charitable act, a smile, a short conversation, being kind to the employee and saying their name, acknowledging they are a person, makes the shopping experience so much better. Sometimes people are a little shocked when you smile at them. But they will almost always smile back.

Stepping outside of ourself, reaching out to someone else, helping when help is needed without waiting for an invitation to do so, is an easy way to brighten your day. Courtesy and Charity can go hand in hand. Perhaps you need someone to be courteous to you. Perhaps you are in need of someone to acknowledge that you exist. If we do these things ourselves it will come back to us.

Karma... sometimes it can be a good thing.


Have you been a recipient of courtesy and kindness? Do you go out of your way to be courteous to others that cross your path?


2 comments:

  1. Lovely post about courtesy. I agree that a little courtesy makes things go so much more smoothly when we're out interacting with others. My husband thinks I'm an overly social person, I end up exchanging pleasantries with people in the checkout line, etc. I swear I don't initiate (always), I just must look friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My husband is forever asking me why I need to talk to everyone.

      Delete