Thursday, April 11, 2013

Knitting or Why I Make Hats

I knit. I love to knit. I, apparently, have a problem with counting because if it is an intermediate pattern, I usually have to make it 2-4 times because of all the pulling back. This undoing of knitting is known as tinKing, Knitting backwards or frogging, ripit ripit. I make socks. I have made them enough that I don't have to think much about it. And I make hats. With patterns and without patterns. Specifically I make baby hats.

These hats come in all sizes, from full term to very premature. The size of a full term baby hat to hats the size of lemons. When my granddaughter was born in Michigan, she was given a homemade hat right after delivery. After they took her for a little bath and first shampoo, they put the most adorable homemade hat on her. It makes it seem less institutional.


I have made over 200 baby hats in the last 10 years. It doesn't take very long to make the hats for the little preemies. The charity I make them for is Care Wear, and for my church, as well. Primarily for Care Wear. They accept blankets, hats, toys and burial clothing. There is a a great deal of satisfaction in doing something for someone else. And something you will likely not be recognized for, certainly not by the recipient. I knit, I knit for charity. It makes me feel better to do something for someone else.

I am not tooting my own horn, I am shamelessly asking you to help with this any way you are able. They need all sizes of items. The hospitals cannot purchase hats small enough to fit the preemies. A handmade hat and blanket may be the only thing the babies worn before they passed. The blanket or hat may be the only thing the parents have that the baby wore or used. You cannot purchase preemie clothing, and the babies usually can only have a diaper on, giving the nurses access to them. Care Wear accepts items that have been sewn, knit, or crocheted. You can find Care Wear at http://www.carewear.org/index.php?page=home There is a link on that page that has patterns as well as the items they would like to have at http://www.carewear.org/content/assets/2012_CareWear_Pattern_and_Information_Book.pdf They are there for you to use. They are of course free.

I knit. I love to knit. I knit hats.I love to knit for someone that really needs something I have the ability to create.
Please help if you are able.


Have you ever been the recipient of anonymous charity?

No comments:

Post a Comment