Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"I"ndonesia or What I Learned Living In A Third World Country

In 1996, Him had the opportunity to go to Indonesia for two years with his job. It turned out too be three, and I was of course invited to go with him. Every year we got a one month home leave designed to get us back to the States and get medical issues dealt with, get medications reordered for the year, visit family and eat at Taco Bell.

The first home leave we were offered was only 8 or 9 months after arriving, due to the staggering of employees being gone for a year. It was decided since we had just left home and were pretty good on all the reasons to go home, we would go to Australia, more specifically, Tasmania, on the company dime. We were hoping for some Western Food. That was not to be... other than the regular fast food restaurants we already had access to in Indonesia and The Hard Rock Cafe, which seemed to be everywhere in Asia, the food was as foreign as where we had come from. As a matter of fact, we had trouble even finding restaurants to eat at. They were all 'take away'. We were about three weeks into the trip when we realized all the places to eat were in Pubs. Oh well. Now we know.

What I learned about Indonesians is they were a happy people. They were happy with what they had. Not to say they didn't hope for or want better, but they were willing to wait. Most of them. I learned that they were not a violent people, but if, as an expat or someone with a big house, if you didn't have someone at your house all the time, someone would rob you. I learned that they were happy if they had a piece of chicken to go with their rice and weeds a time or two a week. I learned they love American food and are perfectly happy with left overs. They are happy to have a job. Everyone has a job, even if it is telling you where to park on the street. They will stand in line to get a job at one of those "horrible American sweat shops" like Nike. They work 12 hours a day 6-7 days a week anywhere they work, they make more money with benefits there. I learned they are eager to help and have you be their "friend". They don't care if they know you, they will ask to have a photo with you. They will put it on their wall and tell everyone you are their American friend. It gives them status. They are industrious when they need to be but can sleep any time they get the chance. It was inexpensive to live there and I could get an hour of Shiatsu massage for $.25. I got a lot of massages over there. I learned they believe in magic. No, really, they do.

I learned that when him and I did not have the trappings of the frantic life we live over here, we spent much more time together. We were all we had over there. He had his employees, I had the servants, but for the most part any time spent away from work was spent together. We occasionally spent time with other expats, but that was only a time or two a month. I learned that the closer you get to the equator, the more creatures there are that will try to kill you. I learned that Christmas spent in a primarily Muslim country, is better. Again, no trappings of the holiday, no tree, no decorations, nothing to buy for each other because we were too "big" for any clothing and there just was nothing else and unless you were in a Chinese owned establishment, no music. We appreciated the meaning of Christmas much more. I learned to eat ugly food. I wouldn't eat ugly food before I was there but I had to eat it or not eat when we went out for dinner and particularly with Indonesians. I forgot how to drive. I had a driver for three years, and him drove when we went home because we were in a rental car. I learned what a country wide evacuation of expats due to civil unrest is frightening, but manageable. I learned that there are still pioneers in the church. Our Branch only had one person in it that was a second generation member. They thought because we were from America, we all the answers to all questions that might come up. I learned that hearing the Christmas story being read from the book of Luke at the same time as the call to prayer was being made is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. I learned that I loved the Indonesian people and that I would worry, wonder and miss them when I left that place. I loved the jungles, the monkeys, Bali, Planet Hollywood's caesar salad, going to Singapore and finding out they had a Taco Bell there. I learned him and I can share an office if it is big enough.

I especially loved that the pace was slower. That the huge markets of fabric or an entire street with men at treadle sewing machines sewing jeans was a cool place to shop. Indonesian art, especially the Batik, is beautiful. The people are beautiful. They are happy. We were happy there, until the civil unrest began to be a problem again, and we came home again, for good this time. Then it was back to normal. Too busy, too involved too much stuff to take care of, no maid, no gardner, no guard.

There are so many things I learned living in a third world country, with third world people who had third world problems. Like working and earning just enough to buy rice that day. And maybe a weed to put in it. We as Americans are generally spoiled. We don't appreciate how lucky we are to live in this country. We don't realize how much we really have as we covet and stive to get more. How civil disobedience is not a part of our daily lives. Him and I don't spend as much time together. He has his computer and stuff downstairs in his cave, I am in a bedroom converted to be my office. I learned that being an American is so much easier than being an Indonesian.

I miss the togetherness that isn't possible here because we are too busy being Americans. I miss the temperate weather. But mostly. I miss the people. Those happy people who are satisfied with who and what they are.



Is there something that you learned that makes you appreciate who and where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment