Sunday, April 14, 2013

"N"ap or Why I Sleep Better During The Day

I like naps. No... I love to take naps. Sometimes it is for an hour, sometimes 4 hours. It all depends on how I slept the night before. Some people can't take naps because it messes up their nighttime sleep patterns. I generally sleep better if I have had a nap. I don't cruise to the point of trying stay up until bedtime, then get too tired and have that huge cortisol dump, commonly known as a second wind.

It can take me upwards of an hour of laying in the bed waiting for Mr. Sandman to quit hanging around somewhere else and get to my house at night. He has been known to skip my house all together. Him says he's going to lay down for a minute and if he's not asleep in two minutes he's up getting a Benadryl. Then he falls asleep 2 minutes after he has taken his sleep aid. That's so unfair.

It makes me a little jealous. And the fact that he goes to sleep so fast makes it harder for me to go to sleep or stay asleep. He started snoring about 8 years ago. It's not his fault, it happens as we age. He can't sleep with lights on, I can't sleep with noise, so it is a wee bit problematic. Even if I sleep, I will wake if he really gets going. I know I am not the only person to have this problem. And...apparently I started snoring in the last year so. There is some weird poetic justice there somewhere.

The interesting thing about taking a nap is I usually fall asleep in 5 minutes or less. I sleep deeper and wake feeling I've slept. I rarely feel that way after a night's sleep. I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe it is because the ambient sounds are do different during the day. It could be the amount of light in the room. It could be that I have the whole bed to myself or the fact that I don't have a 70# standard poodle sneaking up and trying to hog the bed. No...this was happening long before dog lived here. Maybe it is because I am half Mexican/Spanish. I think they have that siesta tradition down pat. It should be a world wide policy to take a nap after lunch.

Dimples stopped napping a few weeks before she turned two. She refuses to take one based on the fact that it isn't dark yet. I don't know what she's going to do when it doesn't get dark until 10:30. If I have to take a nap when she's here, we both get into bed, I give her the iPad, tell her to turn the sound way down and to stay put for an hour. This doesn't happen often, but sometimes I'm falling asleep in my chair which gives her too many opportunities to get into something she shouldn't.

Him naps if he's really sick. Which is very seldom. But he encourages me to nap because lack of sleep contributes to my pain levels and more pain makes me difficult. A nap feels indulgent...to just go to my bedroom, shut the door, shut out the world and all the worries that go with it, then do nothing except rest for a while. I love naps. If I had to choose between napping or eating, I would nap.


Are you a nap taker?

No comments:

Post a Comment