Monday, April 15, 2013

"O"rder or Why I Like Things Just So

There is an Order to all things.

There are some who are not concerned with order At.All. I personally know people that are just that way. They live in a constant state of chaos and putting out fires because of the chaos all around them. I'm not sure they could really function if they had order in their lives. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, some people thrive in the chaos.

I need order. Even when I have what I think is order, I lose stuff. I can not move from my chair, doing one of my many hobbies and lose something. Two days ago while I was knitting, I put point protectors on my needles and put the knitting it in my knitting bag. I did some things on my iPad, not moving from the chair, took out my knitting and a point protector was missing. It was not in the bag, it was not on the floor, it was not in the chair beside the cushion, it was not on the end table or on the treadle machine next to my chair. It was GONE. I looked two or three times in the same places hoping it would just show up. It didn't. I looked again a couple of hours later because I can't stand it when that happens. I can't let it go easily. The next day I lost a pair of scissors. I looked in the cushion and there was the point protector... and the scissors.

If I had all the time I have spent looking for something I would have about 8 years of my life back. More often than not I am searching for something I put somewhere so I wouldn't lose it and I would remember exactly where I put it. Today I spent two hours looking for one of the two eye masks I use when I travel by train. I always put them in my night stand drawer. They are not to be found. I give up, I will just use the hood on my sweat shirt to cover my eyes.

Order helps keep my stuff reined in. I generally can tell him exactly where the tape is in the linen closet, where his keys are, or where the decongestant is in the closet, without having to get up and show him. It depends, of course,on how many people have been rooting in the closet and not putting it back where they got it from. It's my stuff I lose. Especially in my chair when I haven't moved.

There is an order to life. Spring follows Winter, Summer follows Spring, Autumn follows Summer and then we are back to Winter. We know these seasons will happen. Some seasons may be a little shorter or longer than we prefer, but it happens. In their Order. We know the sun will rise, day follows night. It may be cloudy or gloomy, but we know the sun is up there somewhere.

There is an Order to life. We are born, we can't wait to be grown-up, we get grown-up and realize how hard it is to take care of all the details of life. We also realize our parents weren't as bad or dumb as we thought. The we are climbing the hill, headed for the crest and wish we hadn't spent so much time worrying about the future and spent more time living in the present. When we start heading down the other side of that hill, we start to realize how short life is. We stop thinking about the past so much, though it takes up an incredible amount of our conversations, and we start thinking about the future. Then we start planning for the time when we will complete the "circle of life" and finish our race.

Everything has a purpose and a reason in this life we have been given. That Order is specifically designed to get us back where we belong on the other side. There is Order on the other side. Order keeps things simple. I keep inordinate amounts of lists. Lists help keep Order in my life. Other people can keep all the details of life in their heads. That doesn't work for me anymore. Order is important to me. The less Order and the more chaos around me, the harder it is for me to balance all the details of my life. There is Order. We need to find our place in it and embrace it when able. Even if one is surrounded by chaos, there is Order to life that we are not in control of. There is Order.


Do you have order or do you have chaos?

No comments:

Post a Comment