Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"Q"uiet or Why I Prefer Silence.

Quiet. It is precious to me. I have always preferred quiet to noise. The noise of a radio. The noise of the TV. The noise of a washer, dryer, dishwasher, engine, barking dog... it does not really matter what the noise is, I can only ignore it for so long and then I want it to stop. Not that I want to stop hearing all together, I just don't want to hear noise.

For instance. I do not mind the singing of birds, particularly the beautiful mountain bluebirds we have here. I Do.Not want to hear them at 5:15 AM. Ever. Then they become noise. My house in Colorado sat on 4 acres surrounded by 60 acres that was undeveloped and the road ended at a locked gate half a mile from us. I heard a car go down the road every few days and that was likely a neighbor going home and I happened to be standing at the kitchen sink for some reason. My last house was situated so that my bedroom window was at patio level to a house that had 4 freshman college boys in it who thought kegger parties 4 nights a week was perfectly acceptable. No. Not ever. My current house has neighbors on both sides and a state highway 300 yards from my bedroom window. It is rarely quiet here. Except in my office which is on the opposite side of the house than the highway, and after about 7:30 PM.

Curly used to come home from school and be shocked I was sitting in a house full of silence. She on the other hand always has music playing, unless someone has the TV on. Most of her Facebook posts are about what she is listening to, going to listen to or the genre she is honed in on for the day. Music is one of the things that define who she is. While I have many devices to store and play music on, and I have a tremendous amount of mp3 files in iTunes. I could really care less. I listen to my music a time or two a month. Usually it is more of a soundscape that I have going.

I will say, I didn't realize how quiet my house was until an 18 month old Dimples came to live in it. Then my quiet time was after 8 when she finally cried/screamed herself to sleep. And she talked all the time. She still talks non-stop, but the screaming at bedtime has stopped. The screaming during the day has not.

I like quiet. It is one of the only reasons I like to camping... the quiet. It is one of the reasons I dislike cities. There is just too much noise. You can hear the cars rumbling through your car window. You can't get away from the sirens, the noisy traffic, and all those people chittering all the time. You couldn't hear a bird unless it got itself locked up with you in your hotel room.

I like quiet. I like to be able to think. To pay attention to whatever has my attention at the time. I like to hear the wind blowing through the tall grass, to hear the geese honking as they go over the house to the river. It gives me a better chance to hear the voices in my head. I like the quiet.


Do you enjoy the quiet or the busy rush of the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment