Saturday, May 4, 2013

Why I'm A Bad Blogger

I'm a bad blogger. I understand that a good blogger writes every day or at least every few days. More frequently than when a challenge comes along I am made aware of because of a post the Lovely Lisa makes. I should read blogs more often too... most of the blogs I follow show up in a feed app I use... I use it now and then. Then there is the fact that I only have one person that reads my blog regularly, so... well, you know.

I find it easier to opine about something when I have been given a topic or assignment. This applies to blogging as well as giving talks or preparing lessons. You have to tell me what you want. This principle works well with supper too... Just tell me what you want and I will do my best to make it for you. If you tell me you don't care what you have for supper, you may get a bowl of cereal, because honestly, I don't care what you have for supper either.

I write differently for my blog than I do in my journal. I find that a bit odd. I have been on Live Journal for years and for a long period of time made at least one entry a day. I had about 60 people that I followed, reading all the detritus of these people's lives. Boring details that one is only invested in if there is a relationship established. Even if it is only an online relationship. I have friends from online that I have known and interacted with for over 20 years. I consider them friends. Though apparently not enough to post on Facebook that I have a blog... Some of them are genuine writers with multiple blogs and novels and facebook... I guess I am afraid of someone telling me my life isn't that exciting.

I realized the other day as I was restoring 8 years of journal entries to my journaling program that I could post my blog posts from there. Thus satisfying my need to journal and bore everyone with it. My journal is generally historical. There isn't much deep reflection, or profound introspection that goes on there. I think I am afraid that someone will sneak into them and wonder, "What was she thinking." I have told my family to tuck all those journals right in around my feet when I'm making my final trip in a pine box.

Online journaling is much more anonymous. Even if you know the people reading. When they say, "What was she thinking?", they aren't in your face when they say it. When they quit reading, you don't know it.

While restoring my journal, I had an epiphany... Honestly, why does it matter. I write my journal the way I want. It is me. My blog posts are me. I'm not going to try to be funnier, or wiser or more political, practical or paranoid than I already am... My 'to the core' honesty about how I feel has gotten me in hot water more than once. But frankly, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of my pot...

So I guess this means I will try to find the funny, spiritual, mundane and profound things that make up who I am and try not to offend anyone in the process. I will certainly try to read more and write frequently. And I will wait until the challenges come along to make this easier.


Do you do better with assignments and goals to meet or are you better off the cuff?

1 comment:

  1. I can write both ways, sometimes off the cuff morphs into more fun in my writing, but I also like focus. :)

    Also, I have a blog awating for you over at my blog. Come and get it!
    xo!

    ReplyDelete