Saturday, May 11, 2013

I Couldn't Say It Better or Why I Needed To Read This Article

I read an article today that was awesome. I suggest everyone who isn't in my Facebook take a stroll over there and read it, the link is below. I shared it on my Facebook page because there are so many of us that feel like this. It's probably gone viral by now. Forgive the repetition.

Age, ethnicity or geographical location makes no difference. It doesn't matter if you have toddlers or teenagers, boys or girls, or if your long ago toddler has toddlers or teenagers of their own. There are days, weeks, months or perhaps years that you may have felt inadequate as a mother or grandmother. That same feeling may have been the one I had growing up. You know, the one where you felt you couldn't do enough, or do it well enough to please your mom or dad? Yeah, that one... While she or he was likely feeling like they couldn't do enough to please you, make you happy, or create a well balanced, productive adult. This is the picture of my life.

Curly is 37 years old. I still feel like I am not good enough as a mother. Now I have the added pleasure of feeling the same way about being a grandmother. And we might as well throw wife and daughter in there too... I'm striving to reach that higher level of understanding and acceptance to know and understand there can be benefit to not feeling I'm not doing enough, as long as I'm not beating myself up with it, it can make me strive to do better, to be better. Self-flagellation or a personal pity-party is never productive. Though I must say I have attended more pity parties than I care to mention.

For me, there seems to be something... Not so humble... about saying, "I'm the best mom in the world. I have done everything right." I don't think i know anyone in this life that can honestly make that claim. Him likes to have Dimples tell him he is the greatest Grandpa in the world. I guess he doesn't have the, 'I'm not good enough' syndrome. He is doing just fine and not afraid to admit it. :-) There must be somewhere in the middle that will feel right, be right. That place is know as nirvana. I'm still looking for it, thinking it is just around the corner. I know I'm closer to my desired goal so I keep peeking around corners for it.


Do you struggle with how you're doing or have you found your nirvana?


Dear Less-Than-Perfect Mom
http://http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lea-grover/dear-less-than-perfect-mom_b_3184445.html

No comments:

Post a Comment