Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Wee One Is Coming

Dimples had been at our house since Wednesday and we were having a grand time. Curly and The Farmer were supposed to be here on Sunday for Mother's Day. As Dimples and I were about to get into the bath I heard someone come in the front door then holler, "Hello? Is anybody home?" I didn't immediately recognize her voice, I guess because I wasn't expecting her and she didn't say, "Mom? Are you here?". I closed Dimples in the bathroom to inspect her box of treasures in the drawer while I peeked covertly around the corner to see who was there. You know, just in case it was someone I didn't know walking in my door.

I let Dimples out of the bathroom to say hi to her mom and dad. Curly came took me into a bedroom and handed me an envelope. It was a blood test saying she was pregnant. What? This wasn't supposed to happen. The Farmer has Psoriatic Arthritis and takes Methotrexate (chemo in a pill form) every week. This treatment was supposed to destroy most of his swimmers and the odds of them getting pregnant were almost none. Though it was possible. Not only was it possible, it happened! They have been married less than a year.

What a Mother's Day present she gave me... What a Mother's Day present Curly got from The Farmer!

He was so excited. She felt like... she just got a kid out of diapers a few months ago and she is finally getting independent enough as to not require eyes on her all the time. Dimples will be 4 in July. And I think Curly did not really expect it would happen. And while not old, they are not young. She is almost 38 and he is 44. She is calculating how old they will be when "this" child is grown and gone... Especially given that he already disabled to a degree, and PA is progressive.

Move forward 3 days. She is excited about it. Dimples is excited about it. Dimples has a good "Friend" that works at her favorite store here in town who is very pregnant, so the concept of a baby "in there" is not unfamiliar. When given the news she said, "When will it come out? Tomorrow? I hope it is a girl. I really hope it is a girl. But if it is a boy, I will still play with him."

I am excited for them. Plans are being made, baby equipment that was scattered hither and yon but not permanently given away is starting to be gathered. Dimples clothes will be folded and put away rather than donated, at least until they find out what they are having. they are starting their family together. What a joyful thing. It will bring them even closer together. Dimples won't be an only child. It is difficult to be an only child, Curly was. It is difficult to be the parent of an only child.

This child is further proof that miracles happen. Even today. Dimples was a miracle baby too. Curly had been with Michigan for 14 years before Dimples came along... I was told I would never, ever be a grandma. Then I was told Dimples was it. No more babies. And yet, here we are. Another precious spirit from the Lord is coming to this world. To OUR family. What a delightful addition this baby will be. It will be loved. It will be cherished. And it will have a big sister that is going to love it to bits.



Have you recognized one of your miracles lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment