Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day or Why This Is Not My Favorite Made Up Holiday to Sell Cards and 'Stuff'

I have never liked Mother's Day. I don't like Halloween, Father's Day, Christmas or Easter either... I guess I don't care for holidays in General. The 4th of July is okay because nobody expects anything more than a charcoaled hotdog or burger. Maybe a little potato salad to go with it. Everything else is just cause for a spending frenzy to get the most for everyone and unless they are little children, very seldom pleases the person you have bought something for. And then there is all the drama that is included in any family gathering of any size. I know this is a carry over from my childhood and the way holidays generally ended up.

But Mother's Day? That is a mess all on it's own. It makes me surly. Your family pretends they are going to let you have the day off. They are going to do everything. There were many years that I was so distressed by Mother's Day I would try to avoid going to church all together because of the sappy talks given and the plant that would be dead within two weeks of my planting it. Or more likely within two days when the elk ate it. At least they enjoyed it.

Today Him invited Curly and the Farmer up for supper. It was a great dinner. Conversation was nice, there was no drama... This after I cooked the entire dinner because Him got held up at Church.

Holidays in general seem to make everyone expect something. But Mother's Day in particular creates this anxious anticipation. We see advertisements on TV about how delightful it is to have the perfect husband and their perfect children all treating Mom to THAT ONE DAY A YEAR they will try to make her feel special, loved and oh so appreciated. What about the other 364 days, I ask? Even though I dislike the holiday, I keep waiting for it to be what "they" it is supposed to be. And generally beng disappointed every year. Not that Him doesn't acknowledge the day... this year he bought me a new computer... but it is more of an attitude than the gift...

I hate Mother's Day. I don't know many who wait with anticipation for the day to get here. There are some who love it. They are the one's with perfect families, and cheerful countenances at all times. I am not that way by nature. But... when the day comes and I see them making a half-hearted attempt at giving me a day, I graciously play along. It makes them feel better knowing they are giving that one special day a year.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, really I don't. I am trying not to sound whiney, though I guess I am...I kept out all the serious complaining, that never solves anything. But honestly, I would rather take myself, alone, to the Hot Springs pretend it isn't Mother's day a all.

Mother's Day... do you love it or hate it?

No comments:

Post a Comment